Lemon Cheesecake Cookies
Happy hump day everyone! This week has been super busy with work, a little KBBQ and a last-minute session of karaoke, so I haven’t had a chance until today to get around to writing up this post. But even though the holidays are in full swing, I knew I had to make time to share this cookie recipe with you! It’s one of my favorites and can be summed up in only a few words: lemon and cheesecake.
Day 7: Lemon Cheesecake Cookies
I first came across this across this recipe while perusing Pinterest and was really intrigued by the combination of the rich cream cheese and the tangy lemon. Surprising enough, once baked, you can’t really taste the cream cheese. Instead, it helps create some of the softest cookies I’ve ever tasted.
Unlike the last few cookies I’ve posted on #12daysofcookies, this recipe is incredibly simple to make and requires almost no technical kitchen skills other than zesting and juicing. I prefer using Meyer lemons to make this cookie, but any kind will do. The key is to use enough lemon juice and prep plenty of lemon zest in advance to top your finished cookie.
I hope you enjoy!
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Butter, at room temperature
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 Tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter at a medium speed until creamy — at least three minutes. Gradually add the sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add half of the lemon zest, vanilla, lemon juice and egg and mix until just combined. Chill in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and drop even circles of the lemon cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the sides brown slightly. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, use a whisk to combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Frost the cookies and top with the rest of the lemon zest. Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container.
- If you take the cookies out before they brown, they will be under baked and won't hold together when you to frost them.