Hailey and I are really excited and honored to be nominated for the Liebster award by Strictly Delicious! Her blog is sweet and her recipes are appetizing; I’m really glad we “ran” into each other in the food blogging community.
After receiving this award, I did a bit of research on the “Liebster.” Supposedly “liebster” means beloved in German and the award is given to newbie bloggers as a welcome to the community. How kind/sweet/endearing is that?! Here are the questions we were asked:
1. What are you most afraid of in the kitchen?
Hailey: All raw meats. I have no idea how to cook meat, and I’m always terrified I will get some sort of bacteria from undercooking it, so I always end up burning things!
Cathy: Probably roasted/stuffed chicken. I tried to make it once for my Mom’s birthday dinner … 10:30 pm rolls around and the chicken (which had been in the oven for hours by this time) wasn’t done.
2. What inspired you to begin blogging?
Hailey: While I love my job, working in the corporate world (especially at a giant company) can become routine-oriented and stifle creativity and passion. I was so happy to find a creative outlet to express myself outside of work and motivate myself with a new project.
Cathy: I’ve wanted to start a blog for a while. I’ve always really liked baking, but was too lazy/intimidated to start a blog. Then one day Hailey mentioned to me how she also wanted to start a blog … And now I can’t keep my trap shut.
3. What gives you the most joy from blogging?
Hailey: It “forces” Cathy and I to spend a lot of time together :). Not that this was a problem pre-blog, but it’s very rewarding to learn and grow with a friend.
Cathy: I love blogging with my best friend. She has taught me so much about photography and it’s always nice to have someone else in the kitchen to cook or bake with.
4. What does your ideal Saturday look like?
Hailey: A long run to the beach, a stroll at the Brentwood Farmers’ Market to pick up the week’s vegetables and eating any meal outside to absorb some rays!
Cathy: A hike followed by a cute little brunch spot somewhere in Los Angeles … or a day binging on Netflix’s orginials.
5. What pantry staple would you never want to live or cook without?
Hailey: Avocado. It’s pretty much my #1 food staple.
Cathy: Can I choose two? Rice and sugar. Gotta stick to my root: Korean food and baking.
6. Name a place you have never visited, but want to. Why are you drawn there?
Hailey: Peru. I’ve travelled very minimally in South America, and I would love to do a multi-day backpacking trip ending at the breathtaking Machu Picchu.
Cathy: Definitely Ireland! When I was in high school, I created an itinerary for a two week backpacking vacation and have never had the chance to use it. I’d love to discover more about my heritage, and honestly, it’s just so darn gorgeous.
7. What’s the most surprisingly delicious thing you’ve ever eaten?
Hailey: Mac and Cheese Pizza, a late-night staple for University of Wisconsin students (shoutout to my little sister for introducing this to me in Madison).
Cathy: I don’t have a discerning palette so I usually think everything tastes good… but, if I have to choose I would say Pho. As a kid, I refused to eat the stuff, but now I can’t get enough.
8. Who is your favorite “audience” to cook for?
Hailey: My close group of friends here in LA
Cathy: Family and friends … or my roommate because I know she usually wants seconds. 😉
9. What’s your favorite time of day and why?
Hailey: Late morning. Late enough that I am no longer tired, buy early enough that I have the whole day ahead of me.
Cathy: I would love to say the morning, but that would be a lie. This girl loves her sleep. So I’ll say evenings in the summertime. I love when it’s still light out at 7 pm.
10. What are you looking forward to most this year?
Hailey: So many things! My half marathon in DC coming up soon, a trip to Spain with my best friends, summer in Los Angeles, moving to NYC in August and hopefully getting accepted into grad school! 2014 will be a great year.
Cathy: Our upcoming trip to Spain! As I’ve never been, I’m looking most forward to eating at Botin in Madrid (the oldest operating restaurant in the world), taking in the Gaudi architecture in Barcelona and possibly scuba diving some ship wrecks off the coast of Ibiza.
Now time for some of our blog crushes. These are some blogs that Hailey and I follow:
Simple Pairings: We love Lisa’s fresh approach to cooking. Her recipes are always contain a healthy and seasonal twist, yet are so simple and easy to follow.
Ngan Made It: We absolutely love this blog where Ngan not only shares her favorite recipes but books, market experiences and much more. Ngan’s voice comes through in every post, making her blog an absolute pleasure to read.
Tea and Sesame: Sam’s blog is amazing (and the blog name reminds me of these sesame rolls at Bricks & Scones… yum). Her prose makes you want to keep reading post after post and her recipes always leave me hungry. I mean, just look at this! Doesn’t that just make you want to run to your kitchen as start cooking?
Feasting With Friends: Though Nancy’s already been nominated for the award at least once before, we didn’t think that a second nomination would hurt. We love every single one of Nancy’s posts because they look so darn delicious! (I mean, Tenderloin Stuffed Baguette?? Can you say mouth watering?!)
If you choose to participate, here are the questions we would like to ask:
1. If you were told you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
2. If you were any kitchen utensil, what would you be and why?
3. What is the dish on your blog you are most proud of?
4. Outside of blogging, what are some of your favorite things to do for fun?
5. What is your ultimate favorite restaurant, and what city is it in?
6. What dish would you bring to a potluck at the beach?
7. What is your favorite food season and why?
8. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
9. Where do you seek continued inspiration for your blogging endeavors?
10. What are you most passionate about?
- An Attitude of Gratitude | feasting with friends - […] is showing me and my little blog. Recent award nominations include the Liebster Award from á la main; the…